The Housing Development Department is dedicated to restoring and strengthening neighborhoods throughout Baltimore City by purchasing foreclosed properties, renovating them to top market standards, and selling these beautiful homes to happy homeowners. Our homes are renovated with new or updated kitchens, baths, heating systems, electric, plumbing, roofs, windows, storm doors, wall-to-wall carpet, ceiling fans throughout the house, central air conditioning (whenever possible), and refinished hardwood floors. Our renovated homes help to establish and maintain high standards in the area, and encourage neighboring homeowners to make necessary repairs to their homes in an effort to maintain the integrity and value of the community.
The benefits to the new homeowner include:
- a home where major systems have been tested for efficiency and repaired or replaced as determined by our qualified professionals;
- a full appliance package to eliminate the expense of having to purchase new appliances when moving in;
- home warranties from the general contractor;
- American Home Shield to protect the new homeowner in the event something happens after the purchase;
- and the reassurance that the seller is someone you know and trust.
Our homes are first offered to teachers, police officers, firefighters, and Emergency Medical Team (EMT) employees before becoming available to the general population. Approximately 25% of our homes have been sold to members of this group.